The Ghana Police Service
The Ghana Police Service (GPS) is headed by an Inspector General of Police who is assisted by two deputies – one responsible for administration, the other for operations. The police service has more than 23000 officers and is made up of regional and divisional commands across Ghana which report directly to the Accra based headquarters.The GPS objectives include :
- Life and property protection;
- Crime detection and prevention;
- Disaster prevention and response;
- Regulation and monitoring of the entry, stay and exit of non-Ghanaians and traveling public;
- Development of an efficient and humane custodial reformatory system; and
- Development of a good public relations system.
Ghana has Police Service Instructions developed by the Inspector- General of Police under the Constitution and the Police Service Act which govern internal disciplinary process. In addition regional commanders provide oversight over the police officers. In terms of external oversight mechanisms there is a Public Council, a constitutional body mandated with an advisory role to the President on policing , Regional Police Councils which support the work of the Police Council. The Ghana Commission for Human Rights and Administrative Justice which has been in operation since 1993 is constitutionally mandated to look into human rights complaints, injustice, corruption or unfair treatment by a public official. It has done great work in addressing the police complaints it receives.
- Interpol Connecting Police for A Safer World. Country Profile: Ethiopia. Available at http://www.interpol.int/Member-countries/Africa/Ethiopia – Ethiopia Police Service. < Accessed on 30 March 2016>.
- African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum (2008) An Audit of Police Oversight in Africa: Ethiopia, p 28.
- African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum (2008) An Audit of Police Oversight in Africa: Ghana, p 31.
|Ghana||General||2015/2016||Amnesty International Country Report for Ghana 2015/2016||Source|
|Ghana||Research Publication||2014||An Overview of the Ghana Police Service||Source|
|Ghana||Research Publication||2013||Police effectiveness and police trustworthiness in Ghana: An empirical appraisal||Source|
|Ghana||Research Publication||2013||Public Confidence in the Police Testing the Effects of Public Experiences of Police Corruption in Ghana||Source|