Liberia National Police
The police force in Liberia is a national body , which is responsible for maintaining internal security and conducting criminal investigations. The Liberia National Police (LNP) is composed of three units, (administration, training and operations), and is mandated to:
- maintain public order and safety;
- protect people and property;
- identify and recover lost and stolen property;
- prevent, detect and fight crime;
- identify and arrest criminals; and
- enforce the law and testify in court.
The Liberian judicial system does not provide effective police oversight. It is considered to be ‘subject to executive influence, corruption and intimidation by security forces’. That being said, the Liberia National Law Enforcement Association services as a watchdog and offers recommendations with regards to the evolution of professional police.
- Tim Premier and Garth den Heyer, Civilian Oversight of Police: Advancing Accountability in Law Enforcement (2016), p 123 -124.
- Ibid at pages 123-124.
- Policing and Human Rights (2012) Assessing Southern African Countries compliance with the SARPCCO Code of Conduct for Police Officials, p 42.
- African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum (2008) An Audit of Police Oversight in Africa: Lesotho, p37-38.
- Interpol: Connecting Police for a Safer World. Country Profile: Liberia. http://www.interpol.int/Member-countries/Africa/Liberia <Accessed on 31 March 2016>.
- African Policing Civilian Oversight Forum (2008) An Audit of Police Oversight in Africa: Angola, p 39.
|Liberia||General||2015||Liberia: Justice minister seeking control of police, bureau of immigration||Source|
|Liberia||General||2012||The Liberia National Police Admits Increase in Arm Robbery||Source|
|Liberia||Research Publication||2012||Police Station Visitors’ Week 2012, Report of Results in Liberia||Source (PDF)|
|Liberia||Research Publication||2012||Liberia: Shadow Report to the Committee on the Rights of the Child||Source (PDF)|
|Liberia||Paper||2009||Oversight of the Liberian National Police||Source (PDF)|